Our tax expert here at WolfBridge Financial, Kristen Steffen, CPA, sat down to answer a few questions that couples who got divorced in 2011 are probably asking with tax season around the corner.
Kristen addresses the following questions, and is more than happy to answer additional questions if you want to write them in the comment area below or Contact Us.
- I was divorced in 2011, how do I file my taxes?
- What if both parties want to file as head of household?
- Do both parties generally have a good feel for how the taxes have been done in the past and how they should be done moving forward, or do you recommend they hire a CPA?
- What if I received alimony throughout 2011 and didn’t work?
- What if I was divorced in early 2012, do I still file as married on my 2011 taxes?
- If you are planning to get divorced in 2012, does that affect how you file for 2011?
- Are there any strange divorce tax rules you might need to know?